Pages

20 Jun 2011

Sharpening my skills

Lately I have been teaching pattern making and construction for the summer classes at a local polytechnic. I decided to do it because of a few combined reasons all together.

It will help me focus on getting ready for something and completing it. I have to be in front of about 30 students and teach them, everything that has to be done has to be completed in that three hour window. I have to prepare well in advance what I am going to do on a particular day or I will make a fool out of myself in front of all the students. Students these days are much sharper and some of them do know a lot more than what can be expected of someone at that level.

My understanding for the smarter and knowledgeable students is that they use the resources available to them and everything is available just as it happens. During my time all we had was the knowledge of someone who had done it in the past, few old European books and some old VHS tapes. The scope of your understanding and inspiration was limited to what you had around you, now students know what is happening in any part of the world in real time.


The students have got me to think of technology as a big classroom without any barriers or walls. They have also helped me focus more on preparing in advance, and if I take this to my daily routine I will definitely fare much better and do more than what I have done in the past few months.

My other reason for taking up the assignment was to get my worsening financial situation into something a little better. When I started out I thought I had enough money to see me through this starting up period, but now I realize that money just slips through and you do not even realize it. I also have to restrict myself on what all materials I buy and how much do I get, I have gone a little overboard in the past few months and am fully aware of it now.

Two words that will see me through this somewhat turbulent time is being; Disciplined and Frugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment