Pages

24 Jul 2011

The Treasures of Delhi

There are not many cities in the world that have a lineage like Delhi. As I have mentioned in some of my previous posts there is not a thing in the world that is difficult to find here. All you have to do is go in the back lanes of the old city and ask shopkeepers related to the trade and most often they will point you to the right place or tell you where to hunt and whom to ask.

Since I had got some woven labels done for branding my products, I was hunting for metallic letters that I could use to stamp my name onto the rubber tubes and other materials. I went to a part of old Delhi  called Chawri Bazar, it is famous for printing and related stuff and after about half an hour I got to a place where I could purchase what I was looking for.

This shop is full of history all over and has been running as is since the last 70 or so years, though with the advent of computers it is way past its prime but there is just so much to seep in from the past and think what it must be in its hay days. I'll leave the details of the history for a later post and let these pictures do the talking for now.
This gentleman runs the show now
Pictures of two earlier generations on the wall (towards left)
Different fonts and alphabets
They have been sitting in these drawers since decades
A closer look
All these racks date back to pre-independence India

No comments:

Post a Comment