Pages

15 Aug 2011

Taking Shape

It has been almost a month since I completed the task of cleaning the inner tyre tubes and have not been able to do much ever since. I did draw and cut up a couple of new patters but am yet to try any of them on fabric or other materials. My pattern making teaching assignment has been keeping me busy of late as I am taking classes during the day and evenings too. I decided to take on an additional evening class as I have already prepared the material and the only extra effort is spending the time to teach the physical class. I did not know if I will get a class going forward as some students will return to colleges in September and the enrolment here might just drop. It would also leave me with some much needed buffer cash going forward.

We have had four days of holidays this week on account of Raksha Bandhan, then the weekend and Monday being the Independence Day. I was able to execute one of  my initial designs which I had perfected with the newspaper bag. It took me most of the day to have the body of the bag stitched up, I had to experiment with some pieces of rubber on the sewing machine before starting but I found it easier to stitch than thick leather or hard canvas.

Here are some pictures of the days work and the waste inner tyre tubes taking the shape of something useful.

Cleaned tubes lined up for cutting
Cutting the pattern
More cutting
One side fully cut out
Leather strips to join the pieces
Making a straight edge

Aligning the pieces together
Pasting the leather strips
Sewing the pieces together
Sewing the two sides together
It has almost taken shape now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment